Saturday, March 5, 2011

Welcome Back! - Lent 2011

Greetings my friends! Hello again and welcome back to “E.T.'s Film Review!” Those of you who read the review last year or the year before know the general process of things, but here’s a review for those who are new to the party.

Some Christians choose to fast during the liturgical (church) season of Lent. Others choose to add something to their "spiritual diet" to strengthen their faith. I've chosen to review motion pictures for the 40-Day season of Lent. My reviews will incorporate elements of critical review (directing, editing, sound design, scoring, etc.) and biblical review. For the latter I will attempt to study and review the film through the words and stories of the Bible. The overall aim of each review is to give you a sense what the film is about from a technical perspective and how we might learn more about God (and ourselves in so doing) through the stories, events, and conversations held within the motion pictures at hand.

In keeping with the many "God In The Movies" projects which have become so popular with contemporary theologians and entertainment aficionados, I'll give fair treatment to both the technical and spiritual aspects of film review. The "Reel Revelation", however, will be the main focus and goal. Thus I encourage you to visit daily and read these reviews that you might discover Biblical truths in some of the movies you may have seen many times before. Watching a film multiple times can cause us to develop "lazy eyes" (to go along with our "lazy ears"). When that happens we're sure to miss important lessons found right in the movies we love. This Lenten Review is an attempt to invigorate your love of film and the Word of God.

I took it upon myself to select the films for this year's review with the help of a friend. In considering what might make the review "fresh", I've decided to incorporate film series. We'll begin with one, in fact! This will present wonderful opportunities for series-based reflections. It's also opened the door to tackle one of the great pillars of the cinematic world...a truly "galactic" series of films! I am excited at the broad and yet gracefully balanced selection we have this year. I hope to cover both classics, favorites, and films you've possibly never seen. Aside from seeing people grow in their relationship with Christ, I am always pleased when someone reads the review and decides to see a new film for themselves, to see what they get out of it. There's no shortage of movies to watch, and I hope those of you who love film will be encouraged to keep watching as a result of this review.


The only other significant change made to this review is the frequency of reviews being posted. I will only post reviews Monday-Friday, taking Saturday and Sunday off. My work schedule has dramatically increased from last year (when I was unemployed, and that is no longer the case!) to the present time, and I must be cautious with my usage of time. An exception will be made toward the end...you'll know it when it arrives! I will endeavor to post each review in a timely manner. More often than not the reviews won't be available until late afternoon/evening. The first review will be posted tomorrow evening; Wednesday, March 9th (Ash Wednesday).

I welcome you and pray you’ll enjoy my words and (more importantly, by far) the Word of God as it comes to us through the unique, beguiling, challenging, and wonderful medium of the motion picture. – E.T.

3 comments:

  1. Solid move taking Sunday-Saturday off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back! It'll be good to read along throughout Lent, like in past years. :)

    And, even though I'm sure you've already selected all of your films, if you need a spare one to add to your lineup, I highly recommend The Magnificent Seven. Watched it just yesterday, and remembered all over again why I love that film so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I submit my greetings to you, Lisa. I am very glad to have you back. I do miss you terribly. Will let you know when i'm in Italy...we can meet in Vienna.

    ReplyDelete