Monday, February 23, 2009

Welcome!

Folk - Hello and welcome to E.T.'s Film Review! I'll be reviewing motion pictures for the 40-Day season of Lent. My reviews will incorporate elements of critical review (directing, editing, sound design, scoring, etc.) and biblical review. For the latter I will attempt to study and review the film through the words and admonitions of the Bible.

In keeping with the many "God In The Movies" projects which have become so popular with contemporary theologians and entertainment aficionados I'll give fair treatment to both the technical and spiritual aspects of film review. The "Reel Revelation", however, will be the main focus and my goal. Thus I encourage you to visit daily and read as to discover Biblical truth in some of the movies you may have seen many times before. Watching a film so many times can cause us to develop "lazy eyes" (to go along with our "lazy ears", etc.) and we end up not watching at all. This 40-Day Review is an attempt to invigorate your love of film and the Word of God.

I won't be posting any sort of "schedule" of the films I'll be reviewing. I'll simply go down the list of the ones selected. Although I'll be able to look ahead we'll be "reviewing" with one another in real-time. I will say, however, that I am truly excited at the diversity and range of the films on the list. It's here I should offer a clarifying word about television shows. On my "DVD List" (the list from which the films were randomly selected) I included all of the programs I have on DVD format, motion picture or not. When a television series ("The Office - Season 3", for example) is up for review I will select one episode from that particular series and season at random to review.

I will endeavor to post each review in a timely manner for your reading pleasure. More often than not the reviews won't be available until the late afternoon/evening. The first review will be on Wednesday, February 25th (Ash Wednesday). I will not be posting reviews on Sundays.

You're encouraged to sign-up with Blogger (a free and easy process) and comment on my reviews. Do you agree, disagree? Have you learned something new that has encouraged or challenged your faith? Do you want to add something of your own? You're welcome to do so!

Although I can't say whether or not I will continue to review after Lent has ended this is very much a personal attempt to come nearer to the heart of Christ through one of my deepest loves; the world of film. I pray that he will meet me there and that you too will be encouraged by my observing and reviewing.

See you on Wednesday! - E.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment